I am once again writing SEO copy as well as social media updates. The last time I wrote SEO copy, we didn’t have social media to contend with, so that’s one change. I started working on this type of writing in 2006 when I took a job at SEO firm Submitawebsite.com. Back then, we could write any kind of horrific copy as long as it was keyword heavy. That’s changed. Now too many keywords are spammy (you think?) and the “articles” I am writing actually need to be compelling so as not to be penalized by the search engines. That’s so much better for clients’ websites, so that’s awesome. Plus, it allows me to be more creative in the content I create.
When I worked my last job at Entercom Communications, I was a morning radio personality. I’ve been on the air since 1998, which means two things:
1. I am a survivor.
2. I have witnessed and endured many changes in traditional broadcast media over this span of time.
When social media burst into the “old media” scene years ago, I jumped into it. I’d gotten into Twitter and Facebook the last time I was a freelance writer between 2006-2008. I incorporated my social media skills into my on-air shifts at 98.7 The Peak in Phoenix and then at KDGS-Wichita for the past four years. I am one of those “old school” jocks who chose to embrace social media.
I am looking forward to embracing more change in social media and SEO — two industries that live and die by algorithm changes. I’m happy to be a part of both!
This is not Heather Larson. This is, however, her cat. His name is Alcatraz and he is pretending to be useful. Or perhaps he’s dreaming of being a writer when he grows up. Which will never happen (on both counts).
This was going around on Facebook and then my friend and fellow KWA member Brian Johnson pointed out that, “You should use that for your writer platform.” And he is correct! Do check out his site for his horror books here.
So how about learning some random stuff about me just for stopping by my blog? Amusement is assured!
1. Spent six years learning Krav Maga.
2. I have a BLS degree from BU.
3. I Love the smell of fresh cut celery.
4. If my parents had never moved from the house in which I was born, I would have gone to high school with James Franco. Thanks a lot dad for that move to Arizona!
5. My favorite class in school was always a language class. I even took Arabic for two semesters.
6. My best Arabic sentence is “I live in a car.”
7. #6 amuses me to this day.
8. I lost count of the amount of times I dropped out of college –but, see #2.
9. There was a solid 2 years of hardcore veganism back there somewhere…sorry veg friends but mamma tried.
10. Ben Orr from The Cars was the nicest musician I ever met in this business and lives fondly in my memory for it to this day.
11. My favorite places to drive in are the Mogollon Rim from Phoenix to Winslow and Niles Canyon from Fremont to Pleasanton, California.
12. I do not remember the weekend my cousin got married in Vegas. The photos prove I had fun!